1 a living organism characterized by voluntary movement [syn: animal, animate being, beast, brute, fauna]
2 a human being; `wight' is an archaic term [syn: wight]
3 a person who is controlled by others and is used to perform unpleasant or dishonest tasks for someone else [syn: tool, puppet]
EtymologyExisting since in the original sense of “a created thing”, borrowed via from creatura, from creare.
- A created thing, whether animate or inanimate.
- Anything created or not self-existent.
- A living being that moves of its own volition.
- An animal or human.
- A being subservient to or dependent upon another.
- In order to remind the Kapos they were just his creatures, the concentration camp commandant regularly gave one of them an arbitrary lashing on the bare; any willfullness meant replacing by a new, humbler creature
- For an explanation of the specialised use of the alternative spelling creäture, see its entry’s usage notes.''
- Czech: tvor, stvoření
- Danish: væsen
- Dutch: schepsel, creatuur
- Finnish: olio (1,2), olento (1,2)
- French: créature, être
- German: Geschöpf, Kreatur
- Greek: πλάσμα, δημιούργημα
- Hebrew: יצור (yetzur) (1-4 - animate)
- Italian: creatura
- Kurdish: زندهوهر
- Old English: gesceaft
- Portuguese: criatura
- Spanish: creatura (archaic), criatura
- Plural of creatura
A creature is a living organism. The word is generally used to refer to non-human animals but does include humans, and it is also sometimes used to mean monster. The word is commonly referred to as creech.
Other uses for creature include:
- Creature, a Canadian band
- Creature, an album by Canadian alternative rock band Moist
- Creatures (album), an album by American rock band Elf Power
- The Creatures, a side project of Siouxsie & the Banshees
- Creature is the pseudonym of a guitarist in the undercore band Deadsy
- Creatures (For A While) is a song by the band 311
- Creature, a song by the metalcore band Atreyu
creature in Danish: Kreatur
creature in German: Kreatur
creature in French: Creature
creature in Japanese: クリーチャー
creature in Slovenian: Bitje
Adamite, Charlie McCarthy, adherent, aerobic organism, agent, an existence, anaerobic organism, ancilla, animal, apple-polisher, appliance, artifact, ass-licker, autotrophic organism, backscratcher, backslapper, beast, being, bodily, body, bootlick, bootlicker, brainchild, brown-nose, brownie, brute, cat, chap, character, child, clawback, cog, coinage, commonality, commonalty, composition, concoction, contrivance, courtier, creation, creature comforts, creeping thing, cringer, critter, crowning achievement, customer, dependent, device, disciple, distillation, duck, dumb animal, dumb friend, dummy, dupe, earthling, effect, end product, entelechy, entity, essence, extract, fawner, fellow, feudatory, figurehead, flatterer, flunky, follower, footlicker, front, front man, fruit, genetic individual, gillie, go-between, goon, groundling, groveler, guy, hand, handiwork, handmaid, handmaiden, handshaker, hanger-on, head, helot, henchman, heterotrophic organism, hoi polloi, homager, homo, human, human being, implement, individual, inferior, instrument, interagent, intermediary, intermediate, intermedium, invention, issue, jackal, joker, junior, kowtower, lackey, lay figure, led captain, lever, lickspit, lickspittle, liege, liege man, life, lightweight, living being, living soul, living thing, lower class, lower orders, man, manufacture, masses, masterpiece, masterwork, material, mealymouth, mechanism, mediator, medium, microbe, microorganism, midwife, minion, mintage, monad, morphological individual, mortal, mundane, myrmidon, new mintage, nominal head, nose, object, offspring, one, ont, opera, opus, opuscule, organ, organic being, organism, organization, origination, outcome, outgrowth, party, pawn, peon, person, persona, personage, personality, physical, physiological individual, plaything, product, production, puppet, reptile, result, retainer, satellite, second fiddle, secondary, serf, servant, single, slave, somebody, someone, something, soul, spaniel, stooge, subaltern, subordinate, suck, superficial, sycophant, tellurian, terran, thing, third stringer, thug, timeserver, toad, toadeater, toady, tool, toy, truckler, tufthunter, underling, understrapper, unit, varmint, vassal, vehicle, virus, votary, work, worldling, yeoman, yes-man, zooid, zoon